Wednesday, May 24, 2006

London, Day 7: Harrod's

Harrod's puts the mental in departmental store. It's huge, with seven floors filled with just about every kind of merchandise you can imagine. And it truly is a department store. There's an entire room devoted to candy, another to meat, another to CDs and DVDs, another to pianos and musical instruments, another to perfumes and so on. There are several restaurants, numerous lifts, and room after room of things I can't afford and probably wouldn't want to buy anyway. I saw a refrigerator playing Toy Story 2 on a screen set into one of its doors. So many luxury goods that have little practical use.

I did get some raspberry gelato. Here in London, you have to pay extra if you're going to stay in the store and eat your food. So I stood just outside and ate. I still think the gelato in Corvallis is the best I've had.

I spent a significant amount of time just wandering around, looking at all the crazy things for sale. I think I liked the room with the fossils best. (Yes, there were fossils for sale). A giant slab of rock with a palm leaf fossil in it would certainly be a pretty cool decoration for someone's living room. That is, if said someone had a lot of money to burn.

No comments: