Sunday, June 04, 2006

London, Day 18: Covent Garden


Friday afternoon, I went to Covent Garden. It's an area of town well known for its large open-air market. I wandered around, looking at all the Unicyclebooths selling arts and crafts. Silk scarves seem to be a popular item in London. I guess it must be because it's so cold and windy here. There were also some lovely photographs, which I was tempted to buy. I think I'll just stick with mine, though. I've got hundreds already, and the trip's just half over. There were permanent shops around the edge of the market, selling all sorts of goods. I bought a few fresh peaches at one of the vendors. I spent a fair amount of time watching the entertainers in the market. I saw a group performing classical music with strings and a flute or two. I also saw the classic juggling/unicycle type entertainer--the sort who can do all sorts of amazing tricks of coordination and usually have a funny patter to go with it. That's him up above, trying to get on his unicycle.

On my way back to the tube, I saw two guys who were acting as statues. They'd painted themselves and their clothing to look like stone. I had to post a larger version of one of the pictures because it was so cute--the one at the beginning of my post is of a little girl and the "statue" punching hands.

No comments: