Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Dublin, Day 6: No Gooooooaaaaal.

Having returned from Galway a bit late the night before, I spent a fair amount of the morning sleeping. In the afternoon, I went to the campus pub to watch the match between the USA and the Czech Republic. The US team put in a pretty poor showing. Their ball-handing skills looked pretty weak, and they weren't doing a very good job passing the ball to each other. They did get a bit better in the second half, and had some very close goals (including a heartbreaker that bounced off the goal frame). It was fun watching the match with the other students (and a professor, too...Dr. Facinelli was there).

HPIM2847Later that night, I went to a potluck organized by one of the honors students. It was very noisy, so I went back to my flat to get earplugs. I had a good time chatting with people and taking pictures of unsuspecting subjects. I guess my time on yearbook staff has given me a lasting compulsion to take candid rather than posed shots. After awhile, the party moved outside, where I tossed around a frisbee with some of the other students (and tried to teach Sam to throw one). Unfortunately, Sam was hit pretty hard in the chest with a frisbee at one point (I guess that person will be failing Dr. Bruhn's class!) After he was done crying, he came up to me and vigorously acted out his traumatic injury, to the point of grabbing the frisbee and bonking himself with it. It was cute. Fortunately, he wasn't badly injured at all.

An amusing aside: Sam seems to like hitting himself in the forehead with various objects. I think his parents need to teach him the Latin chant from Monty Python and the Holy Grail with those monks who are walking around and hitting themselves with boards.

Eventually, we had to break the party up because it was quiet hours. That was good, because I needed to sleep. But judging from all the yelling I heard outside later that night, some of the other students didn't.

No comments: